The Multichoice-owned DStv hosted a first in the history of content creation on Saturday, 10 September 2022. The DStv Content Creator Awards were held at the Galleria in Sandton, Johannesburg in celebration of South Africa’s loved content creators.
The pandemic pushed many South Africans beyond when the introduction of digitalization was sped in a short space of 2 years, many citizens were faced with uncertainty and some retrenchment from their place of work. Many were in survival mode and stories such as those of khanyisa Jaceni a TikTok content creator who lost her job during the Covid-19 pandemic led her to explore her creative side turning it into a lucrative source of income.
The event was sponsored by big brands such as TikTok, Meltwater, and SOL just to name a few with 24 categories and the winners were:
- Content of the Year Award presented by DStv: Nadia Jaftha
- SOL Best Content Creator Award: Lemii Loco
- Thumb-Stopping Award: Nadia Jaftha
- Emerging Kasi Content Creator Award: Ms Lanii
- Kasi Content Creator Award: Nathan Molefe
- Alter Ego Award: Coconut Kelz
- Comedy Award: Nadia Jaftha
- Cause Award: Siv Ngesi (Sanitary Pad Vending Machine)
- Netwerk24 Smaakmaker: Qman & Borrie
- How I Shot It Award: Donovan Goliath
- Social Commentary Award: Slaying Goliath
- Podcast of the Year: Our Love Journey With Mpoomy & Brenden
- Stitch Award: Yasien Fredericks
- Performance Award (Music/Dance): Rudi Smit
- Film/Festival/Event Art Award: Daniel Rheed
- Pop Culture Art Award: Falko Fantastic
- Best Brand-owned Platform presented by Meltwater: Savanna Virtual Comedy Bar
- Best Game/App Award presented by INJOZI: Savanna Cider Launches Gugu
- Best Influencer Campaign Award: My Kreepy Teacher (Retroviral)
- Fitness Award: Zinhle Masango
- Beauty Award: Phaello Tshabalala
- Fashion & Style Award: Kim Jayde
- Foodie Award: Lorna Maseko
- Automotive Award: Muzi Sambo Everything Cars
- Best Reaction Video presented by DStv: Nonto Rubushe
The event was attended by over 300 people and hosted by comedian, Loyiso Madinga opened the show with high energy levels as they brought to life some of the most viewed reels and videos on the various social media platforms in a form of an opening dance piece.
Highlights of the evening
Nadia Jatha was the biggest winner of the night as she bagged the DStv Content Creator of the Year Award, the Comedy Award, and the Thumb- stopping Award
When interviewed about her win, Nadia said: ‘It’s an honour to win such an award and never in my wildest thoughts did I think that I would win three awards. Thank you to everyone who voted for me and to everyone who voted for any of the amazing content creators who were nominees in their respective categories.
Nadia also celebrated her mum live on stage flashing her award in the air and her mom proudly responded with, ‘You are the best’